Thursday, July 11, 2013

A review for July- Rocketboom!

This is a sketch I made few weeks ago. Enjoy.

Hello. And welcome to Rocketboom. Rocketboom was one of first vlogs to gain mainstream attention and throughout its ten year existence set forth the basic tenet of news vlogging and internet culture.

Today, we’ll look at the rise and fall of Rocketboom and how Rocketboom changed the internet landscape forever.

Rocketboom started as a small startup in October 2004, when Andrew Baron decided to take the new vlogging media to the next level. He gathered the aspiring actress Amanda Congdon and devised a simple desk and world map studio in his apartment.

Amanda: It was simple aventure, really. I didn’t what to do but somehow it all worked out.

Rocketboom slowly grew its popularity and by December, it was reaching 25,000 downloads.

Amanda: It was exciting. We were featured in CBS , Wired and even at Steve Job’s conference.

It was too good to be true. Or was it?

Businessweek’s investigation to the claim of 400,000 viewer in Fall of 2006 and found it only had 75,000 downloads.

Things were looking bad for Amanda as well... Amanda was recently cut off from her control of the company and left the job...

Amanda: It was very traumatic experience ,but in the end, things got better. Isn’t that right, my duckie?

Ze: Yes. Yes it is, my duckie.

(Amanda and Ze laugh and have general sense of affection.)

But Rocketboom got another boost as the new host, Joanne Colan, quickly redeemed the site as place of utmost internet news.

(Joanne interview?)

With newfound fame, Rocketboom set up Know Your Meme, instructive videos of memes and their history, which gain internet acclaims. One of the researchers, Mike Rugetta.

Mike: (Technobabble about the process of making a Know Your Meme video.)

Joanne peacefully left Rocketboom in April 2009 and after having Caitlin Hill as the new star... it quickly faded... needing a new host.

That’s when Molly came in.

Molly: I was just making videos on my own for a while till Rocketboom called me and decided I should give it a go.

Molly’s term brought a new height in Rocketboom’s career and things were looking bright. But Rocketboom couldn’t keep up with the new advances in vlogging technology. Being laggard and fan quickly losing interest... the studio slowly sold off its properties.

Mike: Day that we’re told we couldn’t do this thing... it was very emotional day. We knew this day would happen but... I didn’t thought... it’ll happen so... quickly. All my friend... I could see them packing their stuff... slowly... and... (bawls)

Interviewer: Um... I know it’s very emotional...

Mike: Gah!...g...g...

Interviewer: I mean you do very well in PBS Idea Channel. You are getting some fame...

Mike: You know how alone I am. There’s nothing but a corner and some albums. My albums are my only friend...

Interviewer: Oh, I’m pretty sure you have more friend than...

Mike: Wanna see me playing my banjo?

Interviewer: I don’t, I don’t think it’s...

Mike: I’m gonna play it... (plays a very sad banjo music but can’t finish.) Oh, no one wants me...

(Molly gives Mike a tissue.)

Mike: Thanks, Molly... I needed that.

Molly: Oh, we all know how sad we were when Rocketboom declared bankruptcy. We’re all out a job... But overall we came back. You’re doing this new show. And I work at BBC now. It’s all just a little obstacle in your path. You’ll be fine.

Mike: Thanks, Molly.

As said, Rocketboom declared bankruptcy and restructured their system. Kelsey was appointed as the new director and Rocketboom head out in an uncertain sea... looking for a break... again.



No comments:

Post a Comment